The Mangosteen, a tropical evergreen fruit is a deep reddish-purple when ripe. The rind, its exocarp, is not edible but the endocarp, the inner layer of the ovary is. It is sweet, juicy and fibrous in its taste. A remarkable fruit from South East Asia, it is known for its abundance in health benefits.
Powerful antioxidants found in the rind, the pericap, of this amazing fruit called Xanthones are abundant providing benefits to the health and wellness of our bodies. The fruit has 43, forty three, different Xanthones each with its own unique health promoting qualities. Identified as the most exciting scientific discovery in the health and wellness field in several decades, it promotes benefits that prevent or reduces the effects of several diseases.
With a combination of nutrients that include Energy, carbohydrates, sugars, dietary fibers, fat, protein and water, here are some of the health benefits of the Mangosteen fruit.
- Anti arthritis– The Mangosteen fruit prevents the Arthritis disease; a form of joint disorder that involves inflammation of one or more joints.
- Anti osteoporosis– It prevents the disease that affects the bones leading to loss of bone mass. Osteoporosis is a disease of bones that leads to an increased risk of fracture.
- Anti periodontal causes– Mangosteen prevents gum disease and other diseases such as gingivitis or periodontitis that affect the dental nomenclature.
- Anti allergens – The Xanthones in the Mangosteen fruit prevent allergic reaction in the body. An allergy is a reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most other people. Allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system. Allergic reactions occur when a person’s immune system reacts to normally harmless substances.
- The Mangosteen fruit prevents kidney stones and modulates the effects of the disease. A kidney stone is a solid mass made up of tiny crystals. Kidney stone symptoms and signs include back pain and blood in the urine.
- Anti pyretic – Xanthones in the fruit promote fever prevention and lowers the effects. Antipyretic are drugs or herbs that reduce fever and some instances, pain.
- Anti Parkinson – The fruit prevents the Parkinson disease and modulates its effects. Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the brain that leads to shaking (tremors) and difficulty with walking, movement, and coördination.
- The Mangosteen fruit is also Anti diarrhoea. Diarrhea diseases are a collection of diseases caused by multiple viral, bacterial, and parasitic organisms. Diarrhea is the condition of having three or more loose or liquid bowel movements per day.
- Anti-fatigue –It acts as an energy booster. For your daily energy requirements, you would use such a fruit, especially since it has many other benefits in respect to your nutritional needs.
- A Powerful Anti-inflammatory –It prevents inflammation in many internal organs in the body. Inflammation is a localized reaction that produces redness, warmth, swelling, and pain as a result of infection, irritation, or injury. It is the first response of the immune system to infection or irritation and may be called the innate cascade.
- Analgesic – It helps reduce or prevent pain. Instead of using over-the-counter drugs such as painkillers every time you feel pain, how about using a fruit that will also cure other aches you might not be knowing of.
- Anti-ulcers – It helps in preventing specifically stomach mouth and bowel ulcers. In its own natural nutrients, it not only helps in prevention, it also does help in curing your ulcers.
- Anti-depressant – It moderates the causes and effects of depression. Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.
- It has an anti-anxiety effect too. Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress. It helps one deal with a tense situation in the office, study harder for an exam, keep focused on an important speech. It is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one.
- It helps prevent dementia and its effects. Dementia is a loss of brain function that occurs with certain diseases. It affects memory, thinking, language, judgment, and behavior. It is a progressive deterioration in a person’s functioning. The most common cause is Alzheimer’s disease but there are other causes.
- Anti-tumor thus is essential in cancer prevention. A tumor is an abnormal growth of body tissue. Tumors can be cancerous (malignant) or noncancerous (benign). Symptoms depend on the type and site of the tumor. In general, tumors occur when cells divide excessively in the body.
- Anti-aging, yes, it helps strengthen your body cells thus maintaining your strength. Mangosteen has supplements and nutrients, that have been proposed to slow and or reverse human aging.
- Anti-oxidant. This prevents crashing of blood cells due to lack of oxygen and maintains efficient oxygen supply in the body. An antioxidant is a molecule that inhibits the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that transfers electrons or hydrogen from a substance. Antioxidants are believed to lower the risk of cancer, heart disease, and memory loss.
- Anti-viral– It helps prevent viral diseases attacks and reduces their effects. Antiviral drugs are a class of medication used specifically for treating viral infections. Like antibiotics for bacteria, specific antivirals are used for specific viruses.
- Anti-biotic– The fruit modulates bacterial infections and their effects. It has powerful nutrients that fight bacterial infections. Used properly,antibiotics can save lives. They either kill bacteria or keep them from reproducing and increasing in number within your body.
- Immune modulator. The fruit helps in maintaining and improving the immune system. Inside your body there is a mechanism designed to defend you from millions of bacteria, microbes, viruses, toxins and parasites that want to invade your body. The immune system is a network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to defend the body against attacks by “foreign” invaders.
- Anti-fungal– It prevents fungal infections. Mangosteen can be used to treat fungal infections such as athlete’s foot, ringworm, candidiasis (thrush), serious systemic infections.
- The fruit prevents skin disorders and cures skin infections. These include Conditions that irritate, clog or inflame your skin and can cause symptoms such as redness, swelling, burning and itching. Allergies, irritants, your genetic make-up are some of the causes of these problems.
- Anti vertigo – This is the ability to prevent dizziness contained in the Xanthones. Vertigo is the feeling that you or your environment is moving or spinning. One has the sensation that objects in the environment are moving or one has the sensation that objects in the environment are moving or there is intensive sensation of rotation inside one’s head.
- Anti glaucoma – It prevents glaucoma and reduces the effects of the disease. Glaucoma is a group of disorders leading to progressive damage to the optic nerve, and is characterized by loss of nerve tissue resulting in loss of vision. The optic nerve is damaged due to changes in eye pressure.
- This amazing fruit is Anti cataract, preventing cataracts formation in your eyes. A cataract is a clouding of the lens of the eye varying in degree from slight to complete opacity. Cataracts can develop in one or both eyes.
- Pan systemic – This is a synergistic effect on the body due to the composition of nutrients in the fruit. A systemic disease is one that affects a number of organs and tissues, or affects the body.
- Anti-lipidemic – It prevents a lipid formation in the body thus lowering blood fat. Anti-lipidemic diets and drugs are prescribed to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis for two reasons: plaques contain free cholesterol, and lower serum cholesterol levels such as that found in populations consuming a low-fat diet.
- Antiatherosclerosis – It prevents the hardening of the arteries, thus preventing other related cardiac diseases. Atherosclerosis is a condition in which an artery wall thickens as a result of the accumulation of fatty materials such as cholesterol.
- Cardio protective – It helps protects your heart by providing nutrients that improve it s defensive mechanism.
- Hypo-tensive. This is the lowering ability in the fruit of sugar in the blood. Hypo-tension is abnormally low blood pressure, especially in the arteries of the systemic circulation.
- Anti obesity – It breaks down lipids thus preventing weight gained through fat deposition. Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health. Obesity means having too much body fat. It is not the same as being overweight, which means weighing too much. A person may be overweight from extra muscle, bone, or water, as well as from having too much fat.
- Anti neuralgic – Mangosteen prevents attacks on neurons thus reducing nerve pain. Nerves are what sense the world around you and pass that information along to your brain. They are fragile and can be damaged by pressure, diseases, stretching, or cutting.
Those are some of the benefits of the Mangosteen, abundant of Xanthones, but are there any adverse effects of the fruit?
Research details that a Xanthone, alpha – mangostin, found in the fruit could stimulate apotitis, a condition that affects leukemia cells. Over consumption of Mangosteen juice has been attributed to weight loss and acidosis. Weight loss, is a benefit though since the loss attributed to Mangosteen effects only burns calories and lipids accumulating in the body’s metabolic system.
With an abundance of benefits to derive from this amazingly nutritious fruit, what is the potential economic benefit of the Mangosteen fruit?
With its discovery, health and wellness companies are cashing on the fruit’s demand.
Nutritionists are now recommending the fruit to all their customers, especially those that require a recuperating diet. Since the Xanthones can be harnessed through different forms such as juices or the eating of the fruits pericap, it is being included as part of the ingredients of health products as a nutrition supplement.
This fruit is being utilized by Health and wellness companies such as Vemma. Phytochemical values of the fruit are still being researched though. Horticulturists are also part of the Mangosteen cashiers. Various species of the Mangosteen fruit can be grown outdoors in countries along the tropics. Countries such as Kenya, along the equator, with experienced horticulturists, proper and favorable conditions that can be realized through use of green houses, can be an exporter of the fruit since it requires consistent warm temperatures. Mangosteen and its related products such as juices and supplement products offer a possible enterprise.