A lot of people still believe that bread is rich in carbohydrates, sugar, and calories, which means that it can ruin one’s diet. But this is far from the truth. In fact, bread is considered as one of the best fat-fighting foods which you can add to your diet.
Bread is low in fat and it can also be rich in fiber. Due to its versatility, you can easily eat many servings every day to replace other higher-calorie foods. Keep in mind though that you need to cut back on fatty spreads and fillings. If you do so, bread can easily help you lose weight. In fact, based on recent research, people who eat 8-12 servings of bread every day still lose weight as long as they cut calories in their total diet.
The best tip to achieve a healthy weight loss is to avoid adding fatty spreads, butter, or margarine to your bread. Instead, you can add a small amount of olive oil to taste.
Eating The Right Type Of Bread: White Whole-Wheat Bread
Eating the right type of bread is recommended if you want to lose excess fat and maintain your ideal weight. The most important tip is to avoid eating bread that is made from white, refined and bleached flour. As an alternative, you need to look for bread made from whole-wheat or white whole-wheat.
Is white whole-wheat bread healthy? This type of bread is made with whole grains which is similar to whole-wheat bread. In addition, the nutritional value of this type of bread is also similar to your typical wheat bread.
This type of bread is made from flour which came from a naturally occurring albino type of wheat; thus, it has a whitish bran as compared to the typical darker brown coloring or reddish bran of regular wheat. Regular wheat flour contains tannins and phenolic acid which gives it a slightly bitter taste; however, white wheat doesn’t have any of this. With that said, it has a milder and sweeter taste to it. It even has a nutty flavor but it doesn’t taste bitter at all.
The white whole-wheat still contains the same nutritional benefits as the regular whole wheat, but it contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You can use this flour to make breads, muffins, or cookies. You can easily substitute all of the all-purpose flour in your baking recipe with white whole-wheat to create a healthier variation.
How To Make Whole-Wheat Bread A Part Of Your Weight Loss Diet
Eating 100% whole-wheat bread offers a number of health benefits. Here are a few of them:
- It is rich in fiber which helps keep you full and helps keep the proper balance of your cholesterol
- It contains protein which keeps you feeling satiated for longer hours.
- It has naturally occurring vitamins
With that said, you can eat bread every day- in moderate proportions- without the fear of gaining weight. Here are a few tips for making bread a part of your weight loss diet.
- Choose 100% whole-wheat bread. Whole grain options offer the right amount of fiber, protein, and other nutrients. You need to keep in mind that white refined carbohydrates will turn into calories which will actually make you gain weight.
- Eat bread with a healthy dose of protein and fat. You need to understand that eating bread alone will not give you the energy you need throughout the day. As a tip, you can eat whole-wheat bread with cheese, avocado, egg, and so on. In doing so, you will get more nutrients and feel satiated without gaining weight. Keep in mind that you need to avoid adding butter, margarine, or other spreads to your bread.
- When eating bread, do not pair it with food that is rich in starch. This means that if you eat bread, do not pair it with pasta, pizza, or other type of sandwiches. Bread is a serving of starch. It is not a side dish that you can eat along with other starch.
The author, Kris Lim, is a blogger for health and wellness websites where she offers weight loss tips and techniques. She recommends using white-wheat flour from Chilly Lizard Trading Post in Utah for baking to create a healthier variation.