What is disease management?
This is a concept that teaches patients how to effectively manage chronic diseases.
Sometimes an illness/disease/condition may occur far away from professional help. With simple knowledge of how to administer first aid, you could save a life in need. With risk lingering everywhere, it is only right to acquire all the knowledge you can to help yourself and/or another.
In disease management, here are several do’s and don’ts you need to know on how to manage illnesses and diseases. In order to support, improve and better your health;
What and how to do to manage a disease.
- Equip yourself with medicine. Those which you can prescribe for yourself as you have an understanding of their effects. In certain cases, such as being allergic, it is better to first consult with your doctor on what you should stock in your home chemist. For illness such as headaches, malaria, diarrhoea, cuts and stomach-aches, have the simple treatments for any emergencies. These medications come handy in situations where emergencies occur and professional assistance such as hospitals is far.
- Do regular health check-ups. By having periodical consultations with your physician, you reduce the chances of you not noticing a disease or condition. This tip has saved masses especially from cancer related illnesses. An early diagnosis prevents spreading and increases the chances of recovery. Occasional blood tests help find sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS. This helps one to plan for the future having known the next strategy to use for your health.
- If symptoms persist, seek medical advice. This tip, always recommended by pharmaceutical products, is one you should follow. Being part of a health group or organization helps you acquire all the knowledge you can. With the support that comes with such groups, you are in a better position of understanding your predicament and getting the most effective solution for it.
- In case of any disease outbreaks, get yourself to a hospital for advice on how to manage the situation. In situations where you are visiting a health risk area, get vaccination or treatment that you can administer to yourself while there. In the event that you did visit a place without consulting your physician, and you notice changes in your health, do get advice as soon as possible to reduce chances of a fatal predicament.
- Having insurance or an emergency medical fund is also essential. In case of emergencies, such funds could help you access quality medical help and in fatal situations, acquire organs. With some medical covers, you get to get access to direct admission. Even though such covers are costly, your health is worth much more. Waiting in line, the normal hospital procedure could be fatal as your health may deteriorate further. Having medical cover for your family also ensures you avoid unplanned strains on your income.
- Practice self-discipline and control. Prescribed medications should be consumed as so. Making sure you have adhered to your doctors instruction, avoids mishaps such as intoxication or failure of intended purpose. Practising safe sex, using contraceptives also reduces the risk of getting infections. Failure to complete a dosage plan leaves you unhealthy and sometimes, with side effects due to withdrawal.
- Whereby you are the one administering medical help, practice caution. As you do not know the health status of the victim, use some professionally recommended tips such as using gloves where possible, to reduce chances of infections. Practising medical help using the recommended guidelines ensures that the patient’s health does not deteriorate further. Handling a sick person should be done carefully for the sake of both parties.
- Ensure that you eat a balanced diet. This improves your immune system ensuring it is ready for any diseases and conditions. Dietary supplements also help you build your body by supplying it with the required nutrients. In doing this, you avoid deficiency diseases and opportunistic diseases that attack a weak immune system.
- Avoid unhealthy lifestyle. avoid inappropriate dietary intake.
- regularly consult your doctor about your health.
- Acquire first aid knowledge just in case.
- Set aside an emergency fund for you and your family’s health.