News

Differences Between Type 1 And Type 2 Diabetes.

Diabetes (diabetes mellitus) is a serious disease and affects 26 million people in the United States alone according to the American Diabetes Association.  Not to mention the 79 million people who have pre-diabetes or are at high risk of obtaining it.

This disease occurs when there are low insulin levels within the body, which eventually leads to a surplus of glucose being produced into the blood stream or not enough production due to cell destruction. It is incredibly prone to pop up in seniors but can also affect adults and children all the same.

There are several types of diabetes but type 1 and 2 are the most commonly found. Listed below are six of the key differences between type 1 and 2.

Differences Between Type 1 And Type 2 Diabetes.

1Statistics:  Only 5% of the cases of diabetes found are classified at type 1 (approx. 1 million in the US). The other 90-95% have type 2, leaving a 1-5% of the population with rare incidents of other types.

2. Prevention:  If you are concerned about getting diabetes it may be helpful to know that there is no way of foreseeing or preventing type 1 diabetes, you can only look up its symptoms and become aware. Type 2 diabetes on the other hand revolves around exercise and healthy eating to be prevented as there are no visible signs of its onset.

3. Symptoms:  Although you may not be able to prevent type 1 diabetes, its signs are more evident than with type 2, as periods of fluctuating high/ low blood sugar or high blood pressure can be a clear indication. Yet both types can have minor symptoms such as persistent hunger/thirst, frequent urination and abnormal fatigue.

4. Characteristics: You may have heard type 1 being called juvenile-onset diabetes, this is due to its early formation found in youth. Type 2 is formally called adult-onset diabetes usually showing up later in life especially in elderly where it can lead to complications.

5. Causes: Type 2 as the most common is when your body is not using the insulin it is producing correctly, aka insulin resistance which could eventually lead to insulin deficiency and in some obesity. Type 1 on the other hand is not to do with incorrect use, but your bodies attack and destruction on beta cells, whose job is to produce insulin, which is labeled as an autoimmune disorder.

6. Management:  Because of these very different processes to do with insulin in the body there are different treatments. With type 1 shots of insulin are usually given around meals to help the body absorb the glucose from food, type 2 insulin shots (or commonly substituted with diabetes pills) are administered daily so that energy can be created from their glucose production.

When looking at the number of deaths caused by breast cancer and AIDs together it is less than the amount of lives taken by diabetes every year. Learning about this disease can help keep you up to date on current health issues and increase understanding towards those you may encounter with this disease.

Sources:

www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetes-differences-between-type-1-and-2-topic-overview

http://professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0%20-%20Sean/FastFacts%20March%202013.pdf

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/

Featured images:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rebecca Borchers is a UCF transfer from FIU. She is originally from Southampton, UK and is a hospitality major who’s looking into event management. She is a world traveler who has a passion for volunteering and loves her dachshund. Rebecca is a professional writer and blogger for www.DriverPhysicals.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

BIGTheme.net • Free Website Templates - Downlaod Full Themes
Real Time Analytics