Mold has a greenish appearance and occurs mainly on walls and in hidden dark corners. Mold is formed as a part of the decomposition process of natural substances around us like food remains, leaves and wood. The notion in most people is that mold is a sign of dirt in the home. Although this is true, it however does not mean that mold does not occur in a clean home as well.
Mold does not discriminate between the clean and the dirty; as long as it has the right condition to thrive, it will breed even in the cleanest of homes. You need to know that the food for mold is dampness and lack of light. No matter how well you clean your home if you do not eliminate damp and wet areas nor let light into all corners, chances are that you will get mold.
Not all molds are harmful and some actually help the ecosystem. However, there are various kinds of harmful mold, and the degrees of toxins they create differ from one type to another. The mold that is harmful to our health is the mycotoxins and one common variety is the black mold.
Unlike other types of mold in the home, which are mostly green, this one has a dark appearance visible as black green hence the name black mold. Being the most harmful to your health and your home, it is important you recognize the signs that indicate black mold growth.
1. Damp walls
Whereas you may have moisture in your house and lack the actual mold, a damp wall is likened to conception and the mold is the newborn baby. It is therefore; better to prevent the mold growth as early as you can. Watch out for condensation droplets on walls and window frames, the type that are unusually cold all the times and never seem to dry up no matter how hot it gets. Check for such walls in areas with high humidity levels such as the bathroom or the kitchen, and areas that receive little warmth and light such as the basement.
2. Patches on a wall
If you clean your home regularly, you will spot this early and place yourself in a good place to end the problem. Sometimes a brown or yellow patch can appear on a wall and no matter how well you clean it, it will not seem to disappear. Such stains show the early stages of mold spores breeding on the wall.
Even when it is not mold and the stain is due to food or dirt marks, both are food for mold, so you need to get rid of them. Check also for areas where the paint begins to peel or crack suddenly. Get a mold cleaning solution and make sure, as you clean such a high suspect area, that you cover your hand and mouth well.
3. The musty smell
This is in the latter stages of mold growth and the surest sign that you have mold in your home. The smell can be felt probably when you enter a room, open a closet, or turn on the ac. When you sense the smell when you enter a room you need to inspect that room especially the high walls and corners. If the smell is coming from a cupboard or closet, remove all the contents and check for any signs of mold growth. Check for greenish spot on the walls and even on the items that were in the cupboard.
If you only detect the smell when you turn on the ac, then it means the mold is growing in the air conditioning system itself. Never ignore musty smell, as this is a sign that the mold is beyond the early stages of growth. When you find the mold, do not shake anything up or try to scrape it off the area, by doing so you simply spread the spores all over the house and risk infections.
4. Infections and reactions
The last and not so good as sign is the exhibition of certain symptoms by people in the house. If most of the family members start sneezing, coughing or experiencing headaches when they enter a room, there is most likely mold in that room. More severe reactions include allergies, nausea, asthmatic attacks, rashes, and reddening of the eyes. When you see an expected occurrence of such signs, get professional help to remove the mold at once, and seek medical treatment for the family.
Chad is a professional blogger and writer. His focus is on the home and black mold removal NJ is a recent topic he has taken on, given the increase of mold situations in NJ.